So…remember when it was memorial day and the weather JUST started to get warm? Now its almost labor day and I literally cannot believe it. Summer went by so fast, but I hope you all enjoyed it. Between weddings, weekend getaways, family birthdays, etc. our summers are usually jam packed, but since this was the first year Spencer and I lived together and our first year in West Hartford we made a huge effort to check out the area and everything it has to offer in the summer! Here is a list of our top ten local summer activities:
1. Dine and Drink Al Fresco ( think Elbow Room, Blue Plate Kitchen, Bartaco, etc., etc., etc.!) Pretty much all of the restaurants in West Hartford have outdoor seating, and a bunch of them even have outdoor bars! When the weather cooperates it is always so fun to eat and drink outside, especially after being stuck in the office all day.
2. Check out the Travelers Golf Tournament.
3. Go tubing down the Farmington River.
pro tip: Make sure to check the website for river conditions before you go and stop at Ocean State Job Lot nearby to get some water shoes like these for $6. When you have to get out of your tube in shallow water, you’ll be glad you did!
4. Take a trip to, or start your own, community garden.
5. Go mountain biking or fishing.
6. Play a round of golf. Our favorite local courses are Rockledge in West Hartford and Tower Ridge in Simsbury. Both are reasonably priced and well maintained.
7. Check out tasty samples from local restaurants at Taste of Blue Back Square.
9. Go to a Chef-to-Farm Dinner.
10. Visit a stop (or all of the stops) on the CT wine trail.
Make sure to enjoy the last few days of summer!!
What are your favorite summer activities?